Sunday, June 12, 2011

Review:Blood Red Road

Blood Red Road (Dustlands #1)

by Moira Young
Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.
Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.

Source: SS galley grab

Note: Not suitable for younger readers due to violent scenes.

Setting: The novel is set in a post apocalyptic world where people are driven by a drug called chaal.

My thoughts:

I really liked this book ,even though it was a VERY  violent book, it had a great story  and very strong characters. Saba was a very interesting character. She’s strong mentally and physically.She has been through a lot and she is willing to go to extreme lengths to save her brother.She is very devoted to her brother and her willpower knows no bounds. Even though she seems to be like a reincarnation of the devil, I still sympathized with her.

Emi was a really cute character and she seemed to be the spitting image of my sister. (They’re so annoying, aren’t they?)

Jack was another character that I really liked. You couldn’t figure out whether you hated him or loved him during the whole book.At one instance you were swooning over him and at another you  totally hated him. Plus,he was very unpredictable.

In fact let me sum up the whole book for you in one word…..UNPREDICTABLE. That is the reason I am so in love with this book!

I had mixed feelings about the way it was written or to be specific….spelt. Everything was spelt phonetically and this was a little distracting. It did add ingenuity to the book but sometimes I had trouble keeping up with the story and had to reread pages.

The only reason this book doesn’t get 5 stars is because I found the violence to be very graphic and sometimes unnecessary.



My rating:                                   
.5
(4.5/5)

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one too, but like you had serious issues with the dialect! It was a little too much for the entire novel to be written that way. Overall a great, original read though =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it was very interesting.Unfortunately Moira Young has like zero online presence!I cant even find a website let alone a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. never read books by moira young...but i think i'll try this one..
    sounds promising...
    thx u for the review...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am meaning to read this book but haven't pick it up because I'm quite iffy about the writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I'm glad you liked it. Must read it soon. It's just sitting on my shelf since what seems like forever.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...