Sunday, September 30, 2012

Review: Forsaken (US: Demon Trapper's Daughter) by Jana Oliver


 Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself—and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on...

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get—even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart—and her life?

UK cover:
I've put the US cover on top because I like the US cover more. It's so bright and she's carrying an orb and I LOVE IT! So much!
















Source: Borrowed

My Thoughts:

This book  really surprised me. I thought it would be just like your average teen romance but it's not! 
The romance is actually not the main focus of this book and I really liked that.

This book is set in the future in which demons roam the earth and the earth is pretty much near ruin.Gas prices are insanely high and schools are in abandoned buildings.Demon trapping is the way people make the much needed cash to sustain themselves.

Riley is the first female demon trapper.She has to take a lot of crap because she's the first girl fortunately she has an awesome father who supports her and is one of the best trappers to roam Atlanta .Unfortunately, Riley's life becomes hell and it's interesting to read whether she will crash and burn or fight to stay on top of life.

I loved the world building in this novel.Jana Oliver introduces us to a world very much like our own with witches ,demons,necromancers,hunters and trappers.Even though I didn't really get to know how and why the world changed I was too engrossed in the world and characters to even care!

The characters in this book were so great too! Riley is such a great,well rounded character.It's easy to connect with her.The guys in this book are HOT! I cannot chose a team.At one point I was Team BOY #1 (no spoilers)  and in the next chapter I was Team BOY #2  and then in the last few chapters I was bending a little bit towards BOY #3 (not sure if he's a love interest yet!) as well! All the guys were such great characters. 

I also loved the chapters from Beck's point of view.They provided an insight into an adult's life in this new world.

I was hooked by the first page itself and couldn't put it down. The only problem I had with this book was the fact that not much happened in it .It felt more like an introduction.The ending of this book seemed more like the beginning of Riley's real story.

I'll definitely be reading book #2  because I want to follow these great characters.

Overall,a great story that kept me hooked and introduced me to great characters and an interesting new world.I want more!

Note: I wasn't sure whether I wanted to give this book a 3 or a 3.5 but after reading the second book I decided to give this a 3.5. What did I think of book #2? You'll just have to wait and see :) 

My Rating:
3.5 /5



3 comments:

  1. YAY! So glad you're enjoying this series! I struggled a little with Riley in book one (mainly in her dealings with Beck), but she really grew on me in books 2 and 3 and I'm a little in love with her now. I can't wait for Foretold in December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep wanting to get to this series! Thanks for sharing.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to read this series! The concept is so cool and I absolutely adore the US cover!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...