Friday, November 9, 2012

Review: Fallen


Fallen (Fallen #1)

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, FALLEN is a page-turning thriller and the ultimate love story.


Source: Publisher( Thanks Random House!)

My Thoughts:

I don't know how to write this review. I don't want to bash the book and author and I'm going to TRY very hard not to.

This book had a great prologue. I was very intrigued. But then the real story starts and things start going downhill from there.

Almost ALL the characters in this novel are weird.and not in a good way. I know that the novel is set in a reform school and the characters won't be normal but they're all so WEIRD! I heaved a sigh of relief when a normal person finally entered the scene but she had a very minuscule role . SPOILER  the author killed her off in the end. WTF? spoiler ends.

Let's start with my MAIN PROBLEM with this novel....

The female protagonist a.k.a Luce .a.k.a the most stupid character who would make feminists barf and spit at her grave.

Case in point

When she first looks at a guy and he flips her off ,she doesn't get angry with him.She becomes obsessed with him. I understand the fact that you feel a "connection" to him Luce but don't you think you should be annoyed at the fact that he flipped you off? No you're too busy being embarrassed because you're sure that you must have made some mistake which led to the guy flipping you off...

Another case 

So the guy is being polite towards Luce instead of being his usual rude self and takes her for a walk in the forest. She's never been to this forest before.EVER. That in itself should make her pause a little.Anyways she's having a nice chat with him and then she thinks that he's going to kiss her and she closes her eyes and waits. When she gets tired of waiting she opens her eyes and he's disappeared.

This is the point at which a NORMAL person would feel scared and very angry towards the guy.But not Luce. Luce is STILL OBSESSED with this guy....

That's not even the worst part.
The guy takes her to the same forest AGAIN. She goes with him without hesitation AGAIN. And then he abandons her in the middle of the forest AGAIN. But Luce is still not angry or annoyed with him.



When I lent this book to my friend she thanked me,
Her exact words were
"Thank you for introducing me to a character that is lamer than Bella (from Twilight)"

And Lucinda is definitely worse than Bella.MUCH MUCH WORSE.Bella was bearable and at least gave Edward the cold shoulder when he was mean to her in Twilight.Lucinda is incapable of being angry.She's too busy being obsessed with a guy who doesn't even give her the time of the day.

Daniel  (the male protagonist) is going to be in my most hated male protagonists list for sure.

The only reason I managed to finish this novel is because I expected a plot twist or an interesting explanation for all the frustrating behaviors. BUT NO...

THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH TO ASK.

The explanation is confusing and the ending leaves you with more questions than answers.

Well, I've had enough. I've read 452 pages of RUBBISH. Wasted a month TRYING to read and finish this novel and I will most definitely NOT  be picking up the sequel(s).

The only good thing I have to say is that the author manages to keep you from throwing this book at the wall by keeping your interest in the "secret". That in itself is an achievement with such irritating characters.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this novel.

My Rating:
1.5/5






7 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't enjoy it :( Great review though, Steve Carrell... <3 him and not ashamed to admit it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Thanks to your review I learnt an important lesson- Never judge a book by its cover! The cover is a killer isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book long before I started the blog and I remember really enjoying it. However, now that I've consumed massive amounts of YA literature, I see it in a different light, and Luce is definitely the type of heroine to really frustrate me, so I haven't read the rest of the series. The whole series does have really stunning covers, and I've read several reviews that say Luce gets better as she goes, so I'm leaving the remainder of the series on my "maybe" list:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this review!

    I'm sorry you had to read this book, which obviously was a... somewhat painful experience, but I did have fun reading your comments. Plus, I'd been on the fence about this title and you've really helped me make a decission: I had seen the "Oh great" and the "Oh horror" reviews, but they didn't explain exactly what made Luce insufferable. Now, though... Taking into account that I could put up with Bella half the time... I'm going to give this a massive PASS.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Fallen in a long time, and I wonder what my reaction would be now after reading such books as Masque of the Red Death and Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Shadow and Bone? I wonder if I would love it still, or loathe it like so many people seem to. I think I might just have to experiment! Thanks for the review, but I am sorry you had such a horrible experience

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh,this book... They were bad but I couldn't resist and read them all. I know,they are my guilty pleasure. Some people like to read HoN but I adore Cam and the gang.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book.. it was bad. I still managed to read the next book (silently hoping that it would become better), but it just.. doesn't work. Lucy is so annoying and Daniel frustrates me. Great review, I love the Steve Carrel GIF. He is awesome :p

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...