Sunday, November 25, 2012

Review: Throne of Glass


Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)


Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?



Source: Publisher for an honest review (Thanks Bloomsbury! )

My Thoughts:
I had very high expectations from this novel.As soon as I saw the blurb I started freaking out because it's about a FEMALE ASSASSIN and it was YA!

I thought the girl would be kicking @$$ throughout the novel
What I thought the book  would be full of...
SOURC: GIF SOUP

The girl would also have swords and be able to do worse with those.

The book does have some of that but unfortunately (according to me) for the majority of the book the girl is regaining her strength and I for one wasn't impressed by her.I never thought an assassin would be so vain and humane. Basically the author tries to make you sympathize and empathize with the main character.I would have preferred if the author would have let the assassin be a bad @$$ and not tried to make her humane but that's just my perspective.

The story
The story is interesting and manages to keep you engaged.The first few chapters are a little slow but the last 10 to 15 chapters are amazing and worth a read. Most of the story is from Celaena's point of view but there are some scenes from the male's point of view too.(i.e Captain Westfall and the Crown Prince). Thankfully the changes in the point of view are not confusing and help add flavor to the novel.

The world that is introduced is an interesting one and the story manages to surprise the reader.

The characters

My favorite character in this novel is the King.Yes, I like the villain because he's mysterious and I want to know more about what he has done to the kingdom. Usually villains don't really interest me but I'm very interested in knowing what the King will do next.

I want to know more about Celaena's past and apparently various novellas are available so I might give them a gander.

The love interests need more development in my opinion. semi SPOILER(if you don' know who the love interests are this is a spoiler) especially Captain Westfall. SPOILER ENDS

Basically I wanted more from this novel.More action,more @$$ kicking  and more background.

That doesn't mean that the book isn't good. If you've been looking for a book like Poison Study i.e a book with kings, assassins,fantasy,competition, a fight to the death and paranormal element this is the book for you.

I think the sequel definitely holds the potential to be truly great as the buildup for the sequel is good.

Overall, an interesting addition to the YA genre.I hope more books like this come out in the future that can live upto my high expectations.


 My Rating:
3 /5


Note: This book is by a 2012 Debut author.


6 comments:

  1. Throne of Glass is not a book I've been interested in reading. I'm not that into assassins or fantasy. I'm glad you liked it, and that the villain was your favorite character. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book and just about everyone raves about it, but I just never get around to reading it. Glad to see you enjoyed it overall, in spit of your issues. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely see a less than 4 or 5 star review for this one. Sometimes it is nice to see a little more average rating because it brings my head back down to earth as far as expectations go. I can't wait to read this one. I am so sorry that it didn't end up bad enough for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I want more action in this book too! I started reading it a few months ago but put it down and haven't gone back to it yet. Definitely plan on finishing it soon but I just expected more from this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I don't really agree with you, but I get your points. I thought that Celaena was a wonderful girl and I loved her flawed personality.Perhaps because I didn't have any expectations when I went into this book :) I really connected with her and I'm totally team Chaol <3 Their conversations were fun. I definitely can't wait to see/hear more from the King.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this book. I actually appreciated Celaena's character and how she grew throughout the novel. I can see how people feel dissapointed with the lack of action in the novel. I think that it was mostly a set up for the rest of the series, because of the way it ended! Great review!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...