Thursday, April 25, 2013

Classic Thursday: Emma by Jane Austen

CLASSIC THURSDAY

a feature in which I review classics. 

Please keep in mind that these are my opinions on the books. All these works are distinguished.

Emma
 'I never have been in love; it is not my way, or my nature; and I do not think I ever shall.'

Beautiful, clever, rich - and single - Emma Woodhouse is perfectly content with her life and sees no need for either love or marriage. Nothing, however, delights her more than interfering in the romantic lives of others. But when she ignores the warnings of her good friend Mr Knightley and attempts to arrange a suitable match for her protegee Harriet Smith, her carefully laid plans soon unravel and have consequences that she never expected. With its imperfect but charming heroine and its witty and subtle exploration of relationships, Emma is often seen as Jane Austen's most flawless work.

Source: Library

My Thoughts:

I have a love/hate relationship with Jane Austen. I just don't understand why these books are considered classics. I'm pretty sure in the modern day they would be classified as chick lit.I think that maybe at that time maybe nobody wrote chick lit, so if Jane Austen introduced the concept of chick lit to the world I think we owe her a huge thank you.The world would seen like a very sad place without Sophie Kinsella.

Emma is a gossip and a busybody. She likes fixing people up and basically sticks her nose in places nobody wants her to. Some people might find her to be irritating but I didn't. I think the fact that I remembered that she had nothing else to do helped me keep my cool. It's not like they had television or the internet to pass the time at that time.

Knightley was a character that fascinated me. Austen's men always have an allure that cannot be ignored. Knightley is a practical man and that is why his and Emma's friendship is fascinating and amusing in some ways. If I reread this book it will be for Knightley and the lovely language.

There are times when I don't understand why everyone including Knightley is so captivated by Emma but then Austen gives a peak into the strength that she possesses .I think Emma's rebellious and strong character makes her stand out from those around her.

Overall, this is a book that seems less like a classic and more like a chick-lit with old fashioned people and better language.

My Rating:
3/5

Favorite Quotes:

"I cannot make speeches, Emma...If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more. But you know what I am. You hear nothing but truth from me. I have blamed you, and lectured you, and you have borne it as no other woman in England would have borne it."

"I lay it down as a general rule, Harriet, that if a woman doubts as to whether she should accept a man or not, she certainly ought to refuse him."

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how much do I love that cover! It's so pretty and colorful:) I haven't read much Jane Austen to be honest, just Pride & Prejudice which I did enjoy. I have trouble with a lot of the classics, they're just hard for me to get through. It would be fun to see how her books would be labeled if she were a current author wouldn't it? Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of Austen's, and I get what you're saying. I guess I consider her a pioneer.
    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same sort of relationship with Austen, and with Emma as well. It's been a while since I'd last read it, perhaps it's time for a reread. I DO reread classics every few years. My perspective changes a lot in that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read anything by Jane Austen. I know I should, but I have so many newer books to read that I just can't find any time for that...
    I'm glad you enjoyed this!! Maybe I'll read it because I love Chick-lit. Great review (:

    I'm a new follower!! Please follow back. Thanks ^^
    Sapir @ Diary of a Wimpy Teen Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a copy of this and could never get into it for some reason. I actually have not had much luck at all with Jane Austen but I haven't tried everything. I do tend to like the retellings though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest, the only Austen book I've completed is Pride and Prejudice. I've started Emma and really liked it, but just sort of stopped reading it. This was before I got heavily into reading though. I should probably give it another try. Especially since I've loved every movie remake ever!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on a bit of an Austen spree at the moment, via audio books. I do agree that they all seem to be similar and very romance-centred and you're right about them being chick lit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been able to get into Jane Austen, or the movies based on her books either. As much as I've tried I just don't enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this movie but I have yet to pick up the book. I loved the fact that Clueless was based on this as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to day Emma is my least fav book of Jane Austen's but it's still good. Nothing like Pride and Prejudice though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a big fan of Jane Austen! Thanks for the post, great review! :)

    - Diana @amalia_chartres

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice article and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you folks have any idea where to get some professional writers? Thank you. 바카라

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...